Saturday, February 11, 2012

Where are Tracey and Joe??

One thing I've learned on this trip is that it's much harder to keep up with a blog when you're traveling with another person. I guess it makes sense that when you're seeing and enjoying and talking about things together, it's difficult to then pull out a computer and do something that starts to feel like an assignment. Not that I don't enjoy posting - I really do. But it's definitely a thief of time. During the solo journeys I've made, blogging became a natural part of the experience, a way that I could "talk to myself" about what was going on. And also a way to feel that others were with me on the trip.

I follow a number of RV blogs and I've noticed -- and I don't want to over-generalize here -- that some of the blogs by solo travelers tend to be the most interesting. This is not surprising as the readers of a solo traveler become the blogger's "traveling companion." In addition, the solo traveler is many times experiencing an inner journey that reveals itself on the page, whereas the traveling team is having a shared experience. They provide their own feedback. As mentioned, I've been both a solo and a team blogger now. Would I want to go back to solo blogging in order to perhaps have a more interesting blog? No way, Jose. Been there and, just speaking for myself, this is better.

I hope that explains to some extent why this blog hasn't been updated in a while. Yes, we're many miles and days from the Edison and Ford estates, the subject of the last post. After seeing those homes, we spent the night across the Caloosahatchee River at the Seminole Campground in North Fort Myers. I chuckle a little when I think about this place. When I found the listing for it in the Woodall's Campground Directory, it billed itself as being "a bit of old Florida." While I have no qualms about seeing what "old Florida" looked like, I thought this was probably a euphemism for "old and rundown." So that's what we expected. Imagine our surprise when we pulled into a beautiful, modern, well-kept jewel of a campground. I guess "old Florida" refers to the abundance of native oaks, cypress and pines that overhang and shade the grounds, creating park-like campsites. We enjoyed our day and night there.

A bit of "Old Florida" ...




Gordon and Esther run Quality Matters, a mobile RV repair company. They ply their trade in southwest Florida in the winters and in their home base of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in the summers. It was great to meet and talk with them ...

2 comments:

Jim and Gayle said...

You are so right, blogging is time consuming but a great travelogue when you want to remember where you've been. And I agree most of the solo bloggers are more introspective, but I enjoy reading both.

Joe and Tracey said...

I was thinking of you guys and several others when I said, "I don't want to over-generalize." :)