Thursday, March 12, 2009

Good Times in Austin

Austin, Texas, is a special place. It has great music, food, and atmosphere. But I have friends here who make it even more special -- the family of one of my best friends in life, Stewart, who passed away almost five years ago. Nancy, Stew's wife, and Cam, his son, welcomed me into their home. I spent two nights in GoJoe parked in their driveway.

Although it was unusually cool and a bit rainy, we had a great time catching up and eating some super food. We took a trip to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center and I was able to pick guitar and trade songs with neighbor Frank, whom I had met on a previous visit to Austin. Seems everybody in town is a musician.

Although the time was all too brief, it was good to reconnect with these friends.



On the way into Austin, I couldn't resist taking a picture of this 1950s era Nash Metropolitan. My grandmother had one of these tiny cars!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever see the movie "Guys & Dolls" (Brando & Sinatra...they were the guys), you'll notice that EVERY car in it is a Nash Metropolitan... I guess so they could approximate Times Square traffic on a Hollywood soundstage! (Actually, it was pretty effective.) Where to next, Joe? Dying to know!

Anonymous said...

Next is ... west. I'm interested to find out, too.