Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Royal Gorge Bridge, Canon City, Colorado


I can remember seeing on TV some daffy Englismen in tuxedos toasting each other with champagne prior to leaping off an incredibly high bridge attached by bungee cords. I later learned that the bridge was the Royal Gorge Bridge in the Colorado Rockies. At the time, the Royal Gorge was the highest bridge in the world as measured from the deck of the bridge to the Arkansas River 955 feet below. It has since been supplanted by a bridge in China that's a bit higher. Some sources still list the Royal Gorge as the highest at more than 1,000 feet above the river, but at this height, who's counting.

The bridge was built in 1929 at a cost of $140,000. Interestingly, it wasn't built primarily to move traffic across the gorge but rather to be a tourist attraction providing revenue for Canon City which owns it. That's still it's primary function, so you have to pay to see it. It is cleverly positioned so that you can't see it until after you've paid. But it was worth it. I walked back and forth over the wooden deck and stopped to stare down at the tiny-looking river snaking through the canyon far below. After a while, however, my imagination got the better of me and I slowly walked my last way back across staying safely right in the middle of the roadway, moving somewhat shakily not looking left or right. There was never a chance that I'd jump off attached to a bungee cord or anything else.



















For those inclined to dangle over the precipice, there is an aerial tramway:

1 comment:

Jim and Gayle said...

Joe, didn't realize you were so close to us! Sorry we didn't meet up. Maybe on your trip back.
No. I won't be crossing that bridge!

Gayle