Tuesday, August 10, 2010

GoJoe Goes West! (To find America!)


OK, so GoJoe the RV needs some tweaking. Yes, yes, the tweaking could probably be done locally in Maryland. But who better to tweak than the Lazy Daze folks at the factory where GoJoe was born? And where is the factory? Yes, it's in California!

We must go there. I (Joe) volunteered for the job. Somebody's gotta do it. And of course, I could have just drawn a straight line on the map from home to factory and followed that. But no, I had to allow for some meandering. Meandering to find America. I always get excited about the prospect of crossing the country.

Any search for America must include a search for American food! In fact, it should start with food. That's how we (GoJoe and I) found ourselves at Tony Packo's Cafe in Toledo, Ohio today. Tony has been packing them in since 1932, serving up some of the best hot dogs in the land.

Tony Packo's is so famous that Corporal Klinger used to mention it on M*A*S*H. Actor Jamie Farr, who played Klinger, really was from Toledo and he really ate at Tony Packo's.

The place was hopping, with a long line at the front door. And this was Tuesday at lunch!





I ordered a Number One. This is an original Tony Packo's hot dog with a side of Chili Mac (chili and macaroni) and a drink. I ate the delicious hot dog right away. The "dog" is really a Hungarian sausage, split in half. It's topped with chili and is a tasty little feast. I ate the chili mac later for supper.





My friend Larry tipped me off about Tony Packo's. Thanks, Larry.

This time while crossing the country I want to check out some real Americana type things. Unusual roadside attractions, things uniquely American, whatever that may be. Stay tuned!

By the way, I just left yesterday, and by lunch today I was in Toledo! I gotta slow down and savor the ride.

2 comments:

Jim and Gayle said...

Wondered if you had left yet. Glad you are keeping up the blog on this trip. Have fun!

Kate said...

Let us know if you come anywhere near Santa Fe, love to catch up!

Kate
http://cholulared.blogspot.com