Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Adventure Begins!


Today GoJoe leaves the driveway and heads west! Or possibly southwest. This day has been a long time coming, but it's finally here. Tracey (Mary to her family), my wife of 33 years, has been super encouraging about this trip and has helped with many of the logistics. She'll go along on future adventures, but this inaugural one will be solo. Sort of like John Steinbeck's wife, Elaine, who encouraged the cross-country RV trip that led to his book "Travels with Charley." I'm no Steinbeck, but reading that book years ago did help to spur my wanderlust.

Charley was the Steinbeck's poodle who got to go along for the ride. Our poodle, Nicky, will definitely stay home. As much as I love him, he's very high maintenance and would pretty much rule the roost. He'll just have to read this blog to find out where I am.

I've long contemplated taking an essentially unplanned, open-ended journey with lots of time to think and gently soak in whatever happens. The first goal is to get to warm weather! I'm thinking Texas.

1 comment:

DMowbray said...

Way to go Joe. Glad to see you got under way. I noticed the RV was missing from your driveway on our way home from the buffet this evening.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
--Don Mowbray