Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Judy and Bert

I did something I wouldn't have thought possible a month ago: I drove GoJoe on the Los Angeles Freeways. I did this so I could go see old friend Judy Crown and her husband Bert, who live in the northern fringes of LA. But I drove first to their picture framing store in Sherman Oaks and that took some city driving.

Judy is a retired film industry hairdresser. For thirty years she worked on the sets of such TV shows as CSI, Seinfeld, Dallas, Moonlighting, Designing Women and many others. She won two emmy awards for her work and she has great stories of Hollywood stars. Her favorite was Gregory Peck. For years Judy would go to Mr. Peck's home and cut his hair. Early on, Mr. Peck encouraged her to bring along her dog, who would frolic with the Peck pooch while Judy cut hair. Some years ago on a visit to LA, she took me to a taping of Seinfeld. It was great fun to see how one of these shows is put together.

Judy and Bert live in a very cool house in the hills in the far north of LA. It's like a mini-ranch, replete with horses, even though technically it's within the Los Angeles city limits. Judy is a major animal lover, so the five dogs and two cats have the run of the house. The two horses and goat live outside.





No comments: